Libertyville History: In the early 1830’s, English settler George Vardin and his family arrived in what is now Libertyville. The small settlement was known as “Vardin’s Grove”. In 1836, during the Independence Day celebration, area residents voted to call their town “Independence Grove”. Mail service from Chicago to Milwaukee was established in 1836, prompting area residents to petition for a post office. The request was granted and the first post office was established in the former Vardin cabin in 1837.
The Village was also registered under the name “Libertyville” on that day because an Independence Grove post office already existed in the state at that time. In 1881, the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad (now the Metra Milwaukee District North commuter line) was extended to Libertyville. Rapid expansion of the Village resulted, with schools, churches, stores, mills, lumberyards and homes being built. The village incorporated in 1882.
Search Libertyville/Green Oaks Homes for Sale
NOTICE: Many homes contain recording devices, and buyers should be aware they may be recorded during a showing.
DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT (DMCA) NOTICE
Today's Market Trends for Libertyville/Green Oaks *
* All data pertains to single-family homes